Men's Lacrosse

Sports Wrap

The Harvard men's lacrosse team gave up five goals in the final 12 minutes Saturday, and as a result dropped is season opener to C.W. Post. 11-9.

Harvard led the contest--played in Westbury, N.Y.--for more than three quarters. In fact, with just one period to go the Crimson found itself on top, 8-6.

The Crimson eventually stretched that lead to 9-6 with 12 minutes to play.

But then, in the words of attacker Chris Pujols--who led Harvard in scoring with three goals and two assists--Harvard "couldn't buy a face-off."

Moreover, the visitors had difficulty clearing the ball from their own end to their offense.

The Crimson's inability to get possession on offense opened the door for a C.W. Post comeback. "I don't think the attack had the ball the whole fourth period," Pujols said.

"C.W. Post made a joint effort in the fourth period. They kept the pressure on. They didn't let us get the ball," Pujols added.

En route to outscoring the Crimson, 5-1, in that final period, the hosts limited Harvard to just two shots on goal.

Harvard's failure to put away C.W. Post in the fourth period obscured what was otherwise an excellent effort by Harvard.

"We dominated for three quarters," said attacker Martin Garcia, who scored one goal. "Through the first three quarters we played really well. Things just fell apart in the fourth period. It was no individual player. We let off a little. We lacked killer instinct. They scored a couple of key goals and we just lost our momentum."

Co-Captain Paul Garavente agreed with Garcia, saying "We have to develop the killer instinct. This week in practice we'll probably be working on our intensity, playing for 60 minutes."

All three players--Pujols, Garcia and Garave e--agreed that the loss doesn't necessarily indicate what will happen later this season.

"We're a good team," Garcia said. "Nothing to worry about, yet."

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard travels to Cornell next Saturday for a crucial Ivy game. "If we want to be Ivy League champs we have to beat Cornell," Pujols said.