The Weekend That Almost Was

It was and up and then down weekend for the Harvard men's hockey team. On Friday night, with 54 seconds to go against Crimson in the semifinals of the ECAC Championships. Harvard beat the Golden knights on one of Scoll Fusco's patented backhanded goals.

But the celebration ended abrubtly Saturday night when the nation's number one ranked RPI squad dashed Harvard's hopes for the ECAC crown. Even with the loss, however, the Crimson earned a berth in the NCAA quarterfinals, and if will face Minnesota-Duluth when the playoffs begin next week.

Counter Clockwise from left--The Crimson mobs goalie GRANT BLAIR after its victory over Clarkson Friday night. BLAIR blocks a shot by Adam Oates in the ECAC Finals Saturday night. Below, the dejected team members watch ECAC champ RPI celebrate its 29th consecutive victory. A stunned Harvard fan also watches the celebration. Earlier in the third period, Crimson Coach BILL CLEARY cannot believe the referee's calls. Harvard defenseman RANDY TAYLOR sees Harvard chances for the win disappear through the clutches of BLAIR.