Aquawomen Sixth as E.W.S.L. Meet Moves Into Final Day

By Brian Mccarthy

Three Crimson records fell last night at Blodgett Pool, but the Harvard women's swimming team finds itself in sixth place with one day left in the Eastern Women's Swimming League Swimming and Diving Championships.

Karen Dehmel, Molly Clark and the relay team of Elaine Sang. Allison Greis, Dehmel and Diana Watts set new Harvard records.

But despite the three records, the Crimson didn't win a single event and finished second in only two.

After the first two days of the 26-team competition, the squad has compiled 226 points, just 10 points behind fifth-place Princeton, but well off the pace set by the two leaders. Brown and Penn State. The Bruins and have virtually run away from the pack with Brown presently holding a 493-458 lead Yale is a distant third with 254 points.

Strong individual performances by Dehmel, Clark, Grers and Sang, coupled with excellent showings by two of Harvard's relay teams, have kept the Crimson near the top of the field.

The first new school record of the day was set in the 400-yd, individual medley, as Dehmel covered the distance in 4:28.00 to finish second, a second and a half behind Brown's Kendall Delgado Molly Clark took second in the consolation final to finish 10th overall.

But Clark was just getting started

The freshman, who had broken the school record with a time of 1:07.81 in the morning's beat for the 100 yd, backstroke, shattered her own mark, finishing the final in 1:06.42. The time was good enough to earn her second place, behind Penn State's Janeen Leeshock. Greis took seventh in the event with a time of 1:08.79

"Molly's times were great," Crimson Coach Maura Costin said. "She's been swimming really well all year but her times really dropped tonight."

The 400-yd relay team, comprised of Sang, Greis, Dehmel and Watts, finished sixth in the final but set a new school record of 4:00.69

The 200-yd freesyle relay combination of Diana Watts, Monica Lee, Kelly Taber, and Lisa Schauwecker finished eighth in the final with a time of 1:40.53

But Clark was just getting started