Racquetmen Travel to West Point to Compete for National Six-Man Title

By Brian Mccarthy

The Harvard men's squash team's weekend is filled with formalities Last night racquetmen received the national nine man championship trophy at West Point N.Y.

Today and tomorrow, the Crimson finishes what shapes up as another pleasant formality competing in the National Intercollegiate Squash Racquets Association (NISRA) Championships.

The four-time time defending champion Crimson on has already copped two national titles this season the U.S. Squash Racquets Association crown and the above-mentioned nine-man title, which Harvard won by completing a perfect 11-0 dual-meet season.

Fed by Kenton Jernigan, the U.S. amateur champion, fellow All American David Boyum, and second team All American Russ Ball, the Crimson has been hterally unbeatable.

After the first day of the NISRA championships, the Crimson is certainly living up to its billing.

All six of the racquetmen received first round byes, and the second round could only be classified as an "unnoficial bye for an obviously dominant Crimson squad. No player lost as much as a single game and Harvard joined Princeton as the only teams to have all a player advance to the third round.

As third-round play gets underway today, the competition should get a little tougher. Ball third in the expects light Franklin and Marshall's Chris Bahr, also a second team All-American.

"I went to high school with him so we both know each other's games," Ball said. "That should make it a tough match."

Fernigan will face Princeton's Christian Gruffith, who came only a point away from knocking off Boyuam when Harvard travelled to Princeton for a dual meet last Sunday. Although the Crimson came away with a 63 victory in that contest, Fernigan is taking nothing for granted.

"They're [Princeton] playing very well lately," the junior said. "It could be tough.

Said Hall. "The real action starts today."