Men's Swimming

Sports Wrap

By Neil Mooney

The Harvard men's swim team finished the regular season without missing a beat, dispatching Yale, 65 46. Saturday afternoon at Blodgett Pool.

Leading the charge for the Crimson was diver Dan Watson, who broke the pool diving record by placing two perfect scores in both the one-meter and three-meter dives.

The old record was held by Greg Louganis of UCLA--who went on to win gold medals in both platform and springboard diving events at last summer's XXIII Olympiad.

Watson had lost out to Louganis a year ago, when he placed third in the U.S. Olympic diving trials. Only two divers earned a spot on the team.

"Dan got four perfect scores, and you can't do very much better than that," said Harvard Captain Brian Grottkau. "I wouldn't doubt that he takes the one and three-meter dives in the Easterns."

The Cantabs will travel to Brown University Thursday to participate in the Eastern Seaboard regional meet Grottkau is very optimistic about the team's outlook.

"We're really going to clean up the league, if Saturday is any indication," Grottkau said.

"The team's looking great. Everyone's really pumped up."

For his own part, Grottkau had a fine day against Yale, making the Eastern cuts in three events.

Grottkau finished first in the 100 Yard freestyle, with a time of 46:47. He also placed first in the opening leg of the 800-yard relay with 1:48.85, and finished second in the 50-yard freestyle with 46.27.

Grottkau cited the part that the upperclassmen have played in insuring the Crimson's success. "The upperclassmen have really played a key role on this team," he said.

"We have some terrific freshmen, but the upperclassmen have really come through for us over the whole season."