Flynn Discuss Adult Illiteracy

By Harry B. Lerner

Speaking at Harvard yesterday, Boston Mayor Raymond L. Flynn called on the University to take a larger role in combatting adult illiteracy and unemployment.

Flynn, invited by the Graduate School of Education, however, did not specify ways in which Harvard could "help in the fight for social justice."

He pointed out the irony in the coexistence of some of the world's greatest educational institutions and an alarmingly high illiteracy rate--about one-third of the adult population--in the Boston area.

In recent decades, a dichotomy has emerged in the city between a strong downtown economy and impoverished neighborhoods, said the populist mayor. "A major reason for the dichotomy between the neighborhoods and downtown is the lack of education and basic skills necessary to compete in the information-based and high-tech economy found in Boston," he said to an audience of about 50 people.

Unequal Tax Structure

The mayor also cited the city's "archaic tax structure" as hindering the spending necessary to fight illiteracy and inadequate job training.

Harvard is among the chief beneficiaries of a tax system which exempts educational institutions from property taxes. Harvard, then, in its turn should bear its social burden, continuing to enrich the community, and "improve the quality of life," he said.

The urgency of Flynn's message was tempered by the good humor that accompanied his return to his alma mater. Flynn graduated from the School of Education in 1981.

John Shattuck vice president for government and community affairs", praised the Flynn administration for showing "concern for the state of education in general, promoting neighborhood activities that specifically help public welfare."