Pinballs, Pucks, and Perseverance

By Jessica Dorman

Harvard women's hockey Coach John Dooley took up his position just four seasons ago--on a whim.

"I did it for curiosity, and I was only going to do it for a year," explains the 1959 graduate of Boston, University. "I thought it was going to be an easy task.

"I've discovered that it's just as emotional, just as challenging, and just as exciting as men's hockey."

In his four seasons with the Crimson, Dooley's squads have compiled a 50-32-2 record, and nabbed two Beanpot championships (in 1982 and 1983).

Despite the winning tradition at Bright, however, the icewomen have remained in the shadow of their male counterparts--the emotion and excitement are unknown to most outside the sport, who often are unaware that women play ice hockey at all.

"A women's hockey player is probably the hardest woman athlete to accept," Dooley said. "The image is so untraditionally feminine."

Nevertheless, without much publicity or appreciation, the women's hockey program at Harvard has persevered and grown.

And in the squad's 5-0 victory over the University of Vermont Saturday (which brought the Crimson's final record to 12-9-1) the program's greatest strength--its individuals--was spotlighted.

"I want to salute all of the seniors," Dooley said. "These are the first ones who have been with me all of the way."

The coach has always built his squads around two groups of players--the regulars, and those he terms "the pinballs," the latter group getting considerably less ice time.

"Katrinka (Leschey) and Dinny (Starr) are two of my original pinballs, and both pinballs scored today," he noted after the game.

Leschey, the second line's right wing, notched the afternoon's final goal. Of her four goals this season, however, perhaps her bigger come back in November, when she tallied in overtime to give Harvard its first-ever victory ever victory over Princeton.

Starr, the starting left wing, worked herself up to the position of tri-captain this season. Her 17 assists on the year ranked second on the squad.

Two of the other Crimson seniors, however, became team leaders without even skating a full four years.

The right wing on the first line, Kelly Landry didn't even take up the sport until her sophomore year, A soccer star since her freshman year, Landry broke Harvard's all-time soccer scoring records this fall.

Then she put away her slipped on her skates, and assumed tri-captain duties with the icewomen, leading Harvard with 21 assists.

"I salute Kelly for all she did all over the ice," Dooley said. "She's a self-made hockey player."

Liz Ward, the starting center, also who did not play four straight years with the Crimson, taking last session off.

With 15 goals and 16 assists, as well as some of the sharpest passing skills on the squad, Ward added a considerable punch to the offense. "There's no way we won't miss Liz Ward," Dooley said.

Fittingly, all four had either a goal or assist in Saturday's contest.

And then, in goal--perhaps the biggest success story of all.

"Four years ago Tracy Kimmel said to me. "I'll play whatever position you want," and for three years she was there right behind Cheryl Tate," Dooley said.

Tate, Harvard's all-time leader in every netminding category and as All-Ivy team member, was a rather hard act to follow.

But Kimmel did it--with a flourish.

"She's done an outstanding job for us," Dooley said of his goalie, who finished the season with 833 save percentage, a 3.36 goals-against average--and a shutout in her final outing. Furthermore, Kimmel's 2.80 g.a.a. in Ivy outings led all league starting goalies.

Five dedicated individuals, each both a product of and force behind the strength of Harvard's women's hockey program.

And from pinballs to all-stars, Dooley has an ample share of such individuals-enough to have turned his original curiosity into a consuming dedication.