Black and White Awaits Showdowns

The Radcliffe heavyweight and lightweight crews face two of the most powerful crews in the East today in foreign waters at Dartmouth and Penn, respectively.

The lightweights opened their Eastern season last weekend with a 34-second victory over Wellesley and Tufts. Although beating the neighbors came as no surprise--a strong duck could probably paddle his way past Wellesley and Tufts--the margin of victory was encouraging for the Black and White.

At the San Diego Crew Classic the previous weekend, against the finest competition on the West Coast, Radcliffe mercilessly destroyed every opposing crew.

However, the Black-and White's competition thus far has not included any of the strongest Eastern crews.

"The competition hasn't been that competitive," coxswain Helen Lee says. "We really haven't been tested yet. This is our hardest race before the Sprints."

Today's test against the Quakers is strictly pass-fail and the result will show Radcliffe's true potential. Last year, the Black and White edged out Penn by just over a second on a 1500-meter course.

"This will be an incredibly tight race," Co-Captain Nina Streeter says. "The margin will be close, but I have faith in the crew."

Along with Smith, Penn has one of the most talented lightweight crews in the East. The Quakers are one of the few crews that can challenge the Black and White and stand as one of the primary obstacles between Radcliffe and an undefeated season.

"Penn is usually our toughest competition and this will be the toughest race of the season," Streeter adds.

The lightweight boat, which claimed the Eastern Sprints last season, boasts four returning varsity members and the coxswain.

"We are a fairly new boat," Lee say. "Last year we had seven returning rowers from the year before. We are looking forward to this race to gauge the crew's abilities."

Heavy Duty

The Heavyweights face a grueling 2000-meter test against Dartmouth, a rival with a history of close races against the Black and White.

Last year, the Big Green handed Radcliffe its only loss, and beat out the heavies for the silver medal at the Eastern Sprints.

The Black and White retaliated by swamping Dartmouth at Collegiate Nationals with a stunning second-place finish.

This rivalry, and last weekend's disappointing loss to Princeton, has the Black and White eager to prove itself against the Big Green.

"We've been working really hard and practicing our start," stroke Marianne Romack says. "Last week we lost the whole race in the start."

After a week more on the water and some changes in the line-up, Radcliffe is feeling confident, despite the early season losses.

Romack moves in at stroke this week and Jen Lowe will move into the boat for San Diego stroke Joyce Gallagher, who is sidelined with an injured shoulder.

The Balck and White will be trying its third stroke in as many races and for the second time will be experimenting with a revamped like-up as Radcliffe Coach Lisa Stone pursues the elusive best boat.

Co-Captain Jenny Hale points to tenacity and aggressiveness as the keys to a Black and White victory today.

"We will row a much more aggressive race against Dartmouth--we have to," Hale says.

Today will determine whether or not the Black and White heavies can re-assert their dominance in Eastern rowing after a sluggish start.

The lightweights' contest against the Quakers should indicate Radcliffe's true ability to compete against a powerhouse crew like Penn.