Radcliffe Rugby

Sports Wrap

Radcliffe's rugby squads picked up a pair of victories over Holy Cross Saturday at Soldiers Field. The Black and White's A side demolished the Crusaders, 38-0, while the B side triumphed 24-0.

"We've always beaten Holy Cross," Radcliffe's Claudia O'Grady said. "They have a big team, and were anxious to play two or three games."

The Black and White took the edge off the Crusaders' enthusiasm quickly, scoring early in the first contest. "We scored right away, within the first two plays, and knew we could just continue to pour it on," O'Grady said.

Louy Meacham and Eliza Schwarz each scored twice for the Radcliffe A. while freshman kicker Heather Flewelling converted on five tries.

For the B side, Jane Williams scored twice, and kicker Jill Vialet converted on two tries.

The Black and White has a big game coming up Saturday, when it hosts Dartmouth at 2:30 p.m. Radcliffe defeated the Big Green last weekend at the Ivy Championships.

Harvard Rugby

The Harvard rugby team placed second in the Ivy League Rugby Tournament held at Brown this weekend.

The Crimson edged Princeton, 6-3, routed Columbia in a shutout, and downed Yale, 13-7, before falling to the host Bruins in the final, 32-3.

Women's Water Pole

The Harvard women's water polo team won three of its four games in a tournament at Princeton this weekend.

The Crimson downed Queens, the University of Rhode Island and Brown before stumbling over Slippery Rock College.

Paced by its strong starting unit, Harvard easily defeated Queens, 11-7, URI, 14-9, and Brown, 8-4.

Slip Sliding Away

The Crimson also held Slippery Rock, the nation's third-ranked team last year, to a 3-3 halftime score before succumbing to the more experienced team, 12-5.

Leading the Harvard attack were Alison Greis, who pumped in 13 goals, and Tri-Captain Kristan Johnson who notched nine scores throughout the tournament. Kelley Withy (eight goals). Annie Wilson (five goals) and Kathy Ysrael (three goals) accounted for the rest of the Harvard tallies.

Coach Maura Costin cited the team's overall cohesiveness and the excellent play of the front line as the keys to the Harvard victories.

Senior Rookie

Costin also pointed to the outstanding play of rookie goalie, senior Tanya Humphreys, as instrumental in the Crimson's success.

Two other Harvard players were honored this weekend--Greis and Withy were invited to try out for the National Sports Festival Team.