Moynihan

allowances for families; said Professor of Sociology Lee Rainwater, contacted in Paris yesterday.

Rainwater, who wrote a laudatory book titled "The Moynihan Report and the polices of Controversy," one of the few people in the U.S. that makes an effort to keep alive concern for people instead of for tax reduction and the like,"

Littauer Professor of Political Economy at Kenedy School Thomas C. Schelling, referring to Moynihan's claim that 60 percent of all black children are in single parent families--as compared with 15 percent of white children--said the issue "is still fundamentally a Black problem of public policy.

Moynihan reports in the lecture that the figures for both Black and white Children have double from 1960 to 1982.

Schelling and others interviewed said they were whether the lecture represents a defensive statement against the Reagan to support for new social programs.

"A lot of Black intellectuals have made it possible for the problems of family to be discussed in the context of policy," commented "Professor of Economics and Afro-American Studies Glenn C. Loury, who specializes in economics and ethnicity at the Kennedy School,

Loury added he thought the connection between poverty and undesirable family structure is still a predominantly racial issue.

Lecturer in Social Studies Martin H. Peretz Editor-in-Chief and President of The New Republic, said "The demographic disaster is now extending to whites--the problem is at once more general and more intense for racial minorities."

"The report will be very important if it can effect family policy," added Peretz, who said the lectures, may run in The New Republic at a later date.