Thinclads Split With Northeastern

Women Victorious. Men Lose

By Becky Hartman

A year ago, the Harvard track teams christened their new outdoor track by hosting Northeastern. Unfortunately for the Crimson, the housewarming party wasn't a complete success--the Crimson women posted their first home win, but northeastern men cruised to victory.

Saturday afternoon, the Harvard thinclads headed to the Huskies' spanking new track in Dedham, hoping to return the favor, and instead returned with results identical to last year's.

The Crimson women succeeded in spoiling, the Huskies' windy home opener, overpowering Northeastern to take the meet handily, 79-66. But the Harvard men were more considerate guests, losing to their hosts, 86-77.

The Harvard women simply overwhelmed the weaker Northeastern squad. Jane Grim, Janet Judge, and Mimi Sheller swept the triple jump. Theresa Moore, Dele Fayemi, and Carol Kirton took the top three sports in the 100-yd. dash when the lone Huskie entrant false started.

While the sprinting and field even competitors were racking up points distance specialist Jenny Stricker who sat out much of the indoet season with injuries, was making at impressive comeback with a convincing win in the 3000.

For the men, lack of depth in the sprinting and javelin department's fatigue, and lapses of concentration squashed the Crimson's chances of victory.

Senior Mark Henry--who won both the long and triple jumps--was the only visitor to place in the sprints. The Huskie javelin tossers swept there event, and Co-Captain Steve Ezejt Okoye's false start in the 400-meter hurdles didn't help the Crimson cause.

Harvard did look weak in the short distances and many of the throwing events, but there were a number of hopeful signs, including freshman James Russell second-place finish in the hammer throw--he qualified for nationals with a toss of 197-ft., 3-in.

Co-Captain John Perkins turned in two outstanding performances taking the 1500 and finishing second behind teammate Cliff Sheehan in the 800.

In the 1500, Perkins was battling with Northeastern's Steve Sergeant for the lead when the gun cracked to signal the final lap. As he rounded the first turn, Perkins began to kiel running straight into a gusty wind. Despite Sergeant's efforts to stay with him, Perkins extended his lead winning the race by more than three seconds.