The Blockade II

THE MAIL

To The Editors of The Crimson:

I was present for the reception for Mr. Hoppenstein, the South African Consul General, at Lowell House Thursday, May 2. I saw no reporters talking to those who were inside and I feel part of the story was missed. I'd like to say a few things about what I heard and what I saw.

First, many of the 25 guests, probably the majority, were not members of the Conservative Club. Many were liberal Democrats and independents, like myself. I was there to hear a foreign diplomat speak on a controversial issue.

The majority of questions and comments made by students expressed opposition to apartheid and South Africa's policies in Namibia. I asked some questions, but I'm sure my roommates who were outside protesting are far better informed than I. I wish they had been there. Actually one told me he would have liked to have listened had that been possible. It is unfortunate that it was not.

I know the SASC leaders were doing their best to hold a peaceful protest and I know what happened was not planned. But when demonstrators tried to prevent Mr. Hoppenstein's entrance to the Lowell House JCR with football style body blocks, and when they pounded on the windows they did a pretty good imitation of violence. They yelled "what is it you don't want to see" when we pulled shut the drapes--but I found more striking the comment made by the speaker that "their presence means there's something they don't want you to hear. "I'm not sure that's true, but certainly he did a better job of presenting his case than the demonstrators did of presenting their case.

I left before the end of the reception to go to my French class, but I returned at 2:15 to watch as the police pushed their was through the crowd. Some protesters were badly hurt, apparently people were violently struck and thrown aside. Some sort of force was certainly, needed for Mr. Hoppenstein to escape, but more police should have been involved and there was no need for great violence. Another question is whether he should have left at all knowing that force would have to be used.

The fact that several cars were used was of great interest to those demonstrating. "There's more than one car," a protester angrily yelled, "and that's symbolic." The line was repeated several times. Also interesting was "there are Nazis here--they go to school here." I didn't see any symbolism. I also didn't see any Nazis. What I saw was a lot of people putting a lot of effort into a cause they could perhaps better assist in other ways. A real peaceful protest, civil disobedience done well would certainly be an improvement. Though the protest wasn't expected (SASC wasn't supposed to know), inviting a South African to speak may have been a foolish stunt, it seemed more intended to provoke liberals than to let the South African government have its say. Certainly all sides would be better off had this unpleasant incident not occurred. Perhaps SASC should invite its own speaker, for instance the member of the African National Congress who debated Mr. Hoppenstein at the IOP Wednesday night before the protest. He'd probably be more interesting and there would be no protest. Andrew F. Schmid '88