Man in Fair Condition After Stabbing on Bridge

By Charles C. Matthews

A Boston man is in far condition at Cambridge City Hospital after being stabbed in the chest and leg on Weeks Bridge near Dunster House last Wednesday night, police and hospital officials said yesterday.

Responding to a call, Metropolitan Police found 22-year-old Richard Connors, who, is not affiliated with the University, wounded on the Memorial Drive side of the bridge at 10:40 p.m. Last Wednesday, said Gerald F. Burke, a Cambridge police official.

What it Is

The assailant, who has yet to be apprehended, apparently attempted to rob Connors and then stabbed him, officials said.

The case is still under investigation and no clues exist as to the identity of the criminal, police officials said.

Two passersby assisted the wounded Connors off the bridge, which is located across the street from Dunster House.

Harvard Police who responded to the call reported finding "a large amount of blood on the sidewalk" in front of the dimly lit bridge, said Harvard Deputy Cheif Jack W. Morse.

Connors was taken toe Cambridge City Hospital and hospital officials said he may be released tomorrow.

"He is a patient here an his condition is fair," said a Cambridge Hospital attendant who declined to be identified.

According to police officials, Connors has said that he heard someone ask him for his money. A bottle then was smashed nearby and he was stabbed, the official added.

The assailant stabbed Connors in the chest and left leg using the broken bottle, Burke said.

The assailant faces felony charges of attempted robbery as well as assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, Burke said

* A Police Blotter of last week's crimes appears of Page Six