Two Skulls Not Linked To Crime, Police Say

By Charles C. Matthews

Two human skulls discovered in Cambridge, four weeks ago most likely were props in strange rituals and are linked to any recent clame, state medical officials said recently.

"They are old and obviously had been used for ritualistic things," said Brian D. Blackbourne, chief medical examiner for the state. The doctor added that judging from the was caked atop one of the crania, a fraternity might have employed the bones for some kind of ceremony.

Black bourne said that the age of the skulls could not be determined, but added that neither skull could be linked to a recent death.

Elesh is not present on the crania and several teeth are missing from both, according to observers. The temple of the wax covered skull had been crushed and only the law, nasal and eyes remained intact on the second bone structure.

The skulls were found last month by a Harvard summer school student and Cambridge resident near the corner of Mass Ave. and Garfield St.

A dentist is still scheduled to survey the heads. At this point, however, further investigation is for "academic currousity" rather than for official reasons, said Blackbourne.

East Boston

Cambridge Police determined three weeks, ago that the two skulls originally came from an East Boston creek, but officials have yet to discover how they were transported to Cambridge.

Officials have learned that three youths transported the heads from the creek to a North Cambridge trinket shop to sell them for $200.

After failing to sell the skulls, the youths left them in a plastic bag near the store where the summer school student and Cantabridgian picked them up, according to police reports.