3 Cleared Of Disorder Charges

By Stacie A. Lipp

Three undergraduates earlier this month declined to contest charges of disorderly conduct stemming from a December 7 disturbance at Wellesley College.

On January 7, the three undergraduates were each fined $50 to cover court costs after they entered pleas of "admission of sufficient facts" in Dedham District Court.

The plea, which explicitly admits neither guilt nor innocence, acknowledges that the prosecution has a strong case.

The Dedham judge who presided over the case dismissed all charges against Robert B. Cleary Jr. '87-'88, Michael W. DeVoe '87, and Richard M. Oehmler Jr. '85-'86, because it was their first offense, said Jack Drewry, the assistant district attorney who prosecuted the case.

The three students, all of whom are members of the exclusive, all-male D.U. Final Club, were arrested at Wellesley'sTower Court dormitory during the school'scampus-wide winter formal. They were allegedlyinvolved in a scuffle in which they struckWellesley campus police officers.

Each of the three men was later charged with"disturbing the peace and being a disorderlyperson." If convicted, the students could havefaced imprisonment for up to six months, a fine of$200 or both, according to the Wellesley police.

The court's decision does not prevent Harvardfrom taking disciplinary action against the threestudents.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III and otherHarvard officials would not say whether theAdministrative Board had considered or wouldconsider disciplinary action against the three.

But Oehmler said that the Ad Board has alreadyconsidered his case and has found him innocent ofany wrongdoing.

"The charges were dismissed. The Ad Boardexonerated me of any wrongdoing in the wholeincident [and] acknowledged my responsiblebehavior on the night in question," Oehmler said.

Cleary and De Voe declined to comment on eitherthe court's or the Ad Board's handling of theircases.

Wellesley Dean of Students Molly S. Campbellsaid she hopes and expects that Harvard willpunish De Voe, Cleary, and Oehmler, even thoughthe courts did not convict them.

"Harvard is talking with D.U., and there may berestitution as well as an apology," Campbell said.The Wellesley dean would not say what form"restitution" might take