House Cleaning

PRE-EMINENT AMONG THE activities of a large coalition of groups that have worked to push Harvard toward divestment from companies that do business in South Africa is the effort of local labor groups--specifically Local 26 of the Hotel and Restaurant Workers, which represents Harvard Dining Service workers. While the 450 University employees are only a small percentage of the local's total membership, the president of local 26, Domenic M. Bozzotto, has been particularly active in denouncing the University's investment policies and helping the activists at various events.

It has been revealed recently that Bozzotto was a trustee and treasurer for two union pension funds that held at least $750,000 in bonds in South Africa-related companies. While Bozzotto has said that he divested in 1981, Labor Department disclosure forms--which he signed--show that between 1983 and 1984 Bozzotto in fact purchased a total of over $2.5 million in bonds in Texaco, General Motors, Ford and Caterpillar. All do business in South Africa. Particularly ironic is that Texaco and Ford are two of the corporations from which the University recently divested.

Despite having misled the public and having managed an investment portfolio at odds with the principles he touts in protest of the University's stance toward divestment, Bozzotto has not been forthcoming on further information or explanation.

Activism against Harvard's wrong-headed investment policy is an example to us all. Such action should remain clear of any allegations of hypocrisy or cover-up. Bozzotto ought to get his own house in order if he wants to protest at Harvard.