Austrian Sparkles at E. Invitational

Playing without star player Kathy Vigna, the Harvard women's tennis team continued to improve with a good showing at the Eastern Invitational this past weekend at Old Dominion.

Eleven of the top teams in the region met in a tournament which consisted of four singles flights and three doubles brackets. Harvard players placed high in each of the flights and won a pair of flight finals.

Cyndi Austrian won the "C" flight in singles with a three-set victory and later took the doubles title of the "B" flight with partner Kathy Mulvehal.

"She [Austrian] proved she is a force to contend with," Harvard Coach Ed Krass said.

Other successful Crimson singles players included Kristen Bland, the winner of the "B" flight consolation round, and freshman Nicole Rival--who reached the finals of the "D" flight.

In the doubles flights, the recently formed duo of Bland and Jackie Ferrell placed third in the "A" flight. After losing in the regular draw of the "A" flight, Robin Boss and Martha Berkman--one of the best pairs in the region--easily won the "A" flight consolation round. Boss also took the singles consolation match of the flight.

"Robin returned from her injury," Krass said of the Crimson captain, "and showed some of her true colors."

With her teammates winning a respectable share of matches at the Invitational, Vigna did not fare as well at the All-America tournament at Myrtle Beach, S.C. Selected as one of the top 32 players in the country, Vigna lost in the first round to UCLA's number-one player, Jane Thomas, and then to Inglese Druhaus, Clemson's best, in the consolation round.

Krass said that he felt Vigna needed the tournament to realize how she matches up against the nation's best.

The Crimson will play at Yale this weekend against Virginia and William & Mary.