Cornell Corners Spikers

By Michael J. Lartigue

It was just as cold in the Malkin Athletic Center as it was outside yesterday afternoon.

And it took two sets before the Harvard women's volleyball team finally warmed up. By the time the Crimson started putting heat on the ball the match aginst Cornell was over, and the Big Red went on to capture a four-set victory.

The spikers played the first two sets as if they had lead in their feet. "We didn't get to the ball at times, and we didn't move our feet well," Crimson freshman Lee Polikoff said.

In the first set, Harvard started off slowly, and Cornell took advantage of the Crimson's lackluster play, serving its way to a 7-0 lead.

The Red increased its lead to 11-3 with some solid shots and a tenacious defense. The Crimson managed to tally only two more points before dropping the first set in 15 minutes, 15-5.

The second set started off much the same, with Harvard playing sloppy and Cornell jumping out fast. The Big Red held a 10-2 lead when Harvard Coach Wayne Lem called a time-out to give his spikers a chance to regroup.

However, the Red defense continued to overwhelm the Crimson, and Harvard scored only one more point before falling, 15-3.

A second consecutive shut-out was staring the Crimson right in the eyes--Harvard lost to Northeastern, three sets to none, Tuesday night--but the spikers responded to the situation with strong spikes and perfect set-ups.

Harvard was looking to blow the set wide-open, but the Red fought back to tie the set at nine. After a successful team block by Maia Forman and Jodi Cassell, the Crimson pulled ahead by one.

The spikers tallied the last five points of the set to capture the set, 15-9.

But in the fourth set, Cornell jumped out to a 7-4 lead.

Led by Suzie Tapson, Cassell and Manda Schossberger, the Crimson rallied to take a 12-10 advantage--causing Cornell to call a time-out.

Both teams traded serves 10 times before Cornell finally scored--and scored again and again, to take the set and game, 15-12.