No Maps Necessary

The Harvard/Radcliffe Preview

Adding some local flavor to the proceedings, Harvard and Radcliffe will enter several crews in tomorrow's Head of the Charles.

The Crimson heavyweight team plans to enter a Championship eight, a Club eight, a Youth eight, a Championship four, a Youth four, a double and a couple of singles, Coach Harry Parker said.

Harvard lightweight Coach Charlie Butts plans to enter three eights and also some fours. Butts says that in this, his second year as Crimson coach, he sees the team in a "state of rebuilding--hoping to restore the team to its quality of the late '70s and early '80s."

Radcliffe Coach Liz O'Leary, in her first year at the helm of the Black and White, is sending out two sets of Championship eights, a Youth eight, a lightweight eight, a lightweight four and an alumni four. These boats were determined Tuesday.

The divisions of competition are determined by several factors, including age, weight and previous success. "The Championship eights are open to everyone. It's known that that's where the fastest crews are going to be. The Club eights is an event you're not eligible for unless you haven't won certain events," Parker said.

How is this regatta being approached? Coach Butts has his Harvard lightweights racing off to determine two of the eights spots.

"I have three different crews competing for two spots," Butts said. "The oarsmen are racing off themselves, in groups that they make up. In the spring I'll pick the boats, but for now, this makes for good competition."

Coach Parker of the Crimson heavyweights is taking the Head fairly seriously. He wants his team to "race hard and do well."

Radcliffe's O'Leary, on the other hand, "can't hope to beat national teams--but I would like us to do well against other schools in the league."

Parker noted that "coxswains are very important in this race--it's a challenge just to steer the course well."

O'Leary added, "A coxswain can make a 30-second difference just in steering."

Junior cox Jim Crick called the Head "a coxswain's race. All of the spring season courses are straight--this one's the most convoluted there is. In the course, there is a 180-degree turn that can make or break the race."

Crick added that the first time he was in the Head--while in high school--he brought a course map with him.

Since Harvard and Radcliffe crews row primarily in the Charles, do they enjoy any kind of "home river" advantage?

O'Leary noted that "the three mile course is full of turns and tricky spots. We know much more clearly that there are 30 strokes between bridges; familiarity does help to an extent."

Coach Parker recognized "some advantage," but all the coaches agreed that such an advantage would be enjoyed by all of the Boston-area schools.

O'Leary pointed out that she has been "watching B.U.'s crews row by [Weld Boat House] for a month now." B.U., like most other schools in the competition, opened before Harvard--and thus have the advantage of more time on the water this fall.

As far as the competition is concerned, O'Leary acknowledged B.U., Smith, and Princeton as among Radcliffe's chief foes. Coach Parker said, "There are 40 or more crews in each event--rowing in single-file; there's not really a focus on the prime opponent."

Even though most of us think of the Head of the Charles as just an excuse to invite a few people over and have a big party, there is going to be a crew race on Sunday--for those sober enough to catch it.

In fact, The Head is reputed to be the biggest regatta in the whole world. And for 3500 competitors in 780 boats, things will suddenly get very serious come Sunday morning.