'Can't Read Your ID?' Let Harvard Re-Print It

By Amy N. Ripich

You registered. You had your ID card made. You got your study card signed and turned in yesterday. You're done with all of Harvard's red tape, right.

Wrong.

Due to an error by the company which makes Harvard's identification cards, students should stand in line again to get their cards re-embossed, said Maureeen A. Granfield of the student data and ID office.

While the procedure is not officially required, Granfield strongly recommended that all students have their cards re-embossed.

The names and numbers of the current IDs are not engraved deeply enough to be recognized by UHS and library card-readers, Granfield said.

She said that the flaw was discovered last Wednesday when the first upperclass ID cards were made. The problem came to light when a student tried to buy food at Lehman Hall and his card failed to make an imprint on the charge slip. Similar situations were reported by a number of other students that day, Granfield said.

Asked why a week had passed without any corrective action, Granfield said, "The ID card company was deciding what would be the best resolution." She said the company willpay for the cost of re-embossing all student IDcards.

The ID office has sent notices to senior tutorsand deans and will post signs today advisingstudents of the re-embossing hours. ID cards willbe redone today, tomorrow and Monday in LehmanHall from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., in the Science Centerlobby from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and in Holyoke Center341 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., she said.

"It will only take a few seconds per card,"Granfield said.

But whether you like your picture or not youcan't have it retaken