The Duke

THE SELF-DESTRUCTION OF REPUBLICANS seeking the office of governor might have been tragic, if it weren't so funny--and if the incumbent Democratic governor weren't such a star. After embarrassing revelations that Greg Hyatt was seen nude in his office on several occasions and that Royall Switzer had falsified his war record, the Grand Old Party had trouble finding a good old candidate. Eventually, George Kariotis volunteered, but it doesn't make much difference, considering the phenomenal success run up by Governor Michael S. Dukakis in his second four-year term.

After governing the state from 1974-'78, Dukakis defeated then-incumbent Edward King in 1982 to reclaim the office. In his second effort--along with a bit of good fortune--he has performed and economic miracle. Massachusetts stands as the most economically robust state in the country--a state with the lowest unemployment rate and with the best potential for continued growth. While social services have gone up, taxes have gone down.

While stimulating massive economic growth, Dukakis has introduced a range of creative state social programs. His "E.T." program to retrain displaced workers and get them off the welfare rolls has served as a national model.

Dukakis's commitment to economic growth has not blinded him to addressing less visible but equally important issues in the state. He has dramatically increased Massachusetts' commitment to education by increasing funding and ensuring that those dollars go straight to local schools. He has also made a substantial commitment to better government, taking a controversial stand for rules reform in the state legislature. Along the way the Duke has not forgotten his commitment to his ideals. Despite opposition from the legislature, he has vetoed the death penalty.

Based on his success here in the state, Dukakis has become a leader in the national Democratic Party. His vision of leadership offers hope for a party struggling to find its identity. Dukakis understands and acts on the principle that Democrats must not stand against economic revitalization. He understands that you can fire up the economy without forgetting the people it is designed to serve, without forgetting that government can be used as an active tool to solve peoples' problems. Dukakis has worked for Massachusetts and he deserves your vote.