Leverett Holds 2nd Olympics

Residents Wrestle, Race, Rally

Leverett House residents wrestled in dough, hopped onto tricycles and shot at each other with water pistols yesterday afternoon at the second annual wacky Leverett House Olympics.

About 200 House residents and adminstrators braved the brisk fall air yesterday to take part in the egg toss, tricycle race, dunk tank, dough-wrestling, assassin game and millipede-a-thon.

Converting the house's peaceful grassy courtyard into a scene resembling a dogfight in a bakery, six Leverett residents wrangled with one another on a plastic sheet covered with dough. This year Leverett House opted for dough instead of chocolate pudding due to the rising price of pudding, said Alan J. Bauer '87, house committee chairman.

Last year's champion, Andrea M. Shlipak '88 wrestled eventual winner Maurice E. Frilot '89, who Shlipak said weighed about 200 pounds more than she did. "It's the next best thing to rolling around in the hay," she added.

"I've been practicing for this all semester," said Frilot before the match. Two spectators rushed to the aid of Frilot in his quest to vanquish the champion as two other members of the audience jumped in to reinforce Shlipak's side.

Though Shlipak was defeated by the more muscular Frilot, she refused to be discouraged. "Wait till next year," Shlipak said.

Altior, Celerior, Fortior

In an attempt to capture the symbolism of the quadrennial world Olympics, Mike N. Druckman '87, chairman of Leverett's version, marked the beginning of the games by dressing up in a toga and carrying a bic lighter through the Leverett House dining hall.

Entryway teams competed in each event for the grand prize: a keg, compliments of the losers. After all the points had been tallied, entries A and B tied for first, forcing a tiebreaking tugof war last night.

Participants also competed in assasin and themillipede-a-thon. In assassin, contestants try totrack down and "kill" one another with waterpistols. The millepede-a-thon pits five teammateswith their legs tied together in a race againstidentically handicapped opponents.

At the dunk tank, participants could take ashot at their favorite house personality for 10cents a throw.

Brian C. Offutt '87, chairman of theUndergraduate Council, offered to be a target foreager contestants. While waiting to take hisperch, Offutt sported a cigar and said, "I believethat no one will succeed in dunking me todaybecause I am invincible."

Leverett Master John E. Dowling quickly provedOffutt wrong with one well-placed throw.

Carin M. Aquiline '89, a Leverett Houseresident, said if she could dunk anyone it wouldbe "the person who got my tickets to the 350thball in the lottery.