Vote

TODAY'S BALLOT offers some fine candidates for state office and some not-so-fine ones too. What may be more important are the eight referendum questions which range from taxes to toxic waste to abortion.

.Evelyn Murphy is the first woman nominated to statewide office in Massachusetts. She has gained valuable experience in her positions as state environmental affairs secretary and economic affairs secretary.

.The race for state treasurer has seen more than its share of personal attacks and mud-slinging on the part of both incumbent Robert Crane and challenger Joyce Hampers. They're both right. The Crimson is unable to determine the lesser of two evils in this race and makes no endorsement.

.Though he lost his bid for the Senate two years ago, former U.S. Representative Jim Shannon was a fine three-term congressman who plans to crack down to enforce strictly nuclear power regulations and to increase consumer protection as state attorney general.

.Mike Connolly has worked for a fairer electoral process and professionalized the Secretary of State's office. He deserves your vote for reelection.

.As chair of the Human Services Committee in the Legislature, Joe DeNucci was able to bridge many liberal/conservative splits and unite his colleagues behind common goals. As state auditor he will be able to bring the same compassion and commitment to the job.

.Joe Kennedy is the best man left in the race for the eight district seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.

.Question 2-- a constitutional amendment that would allow the state to pay for private and parochial school tuition, services and materials--is a threat to the public school system which should be defeated. No on 2.

.Question 6 would allow voter registration with an affidavit sent by mail instead of requiring a visit to City Hall. The measure is an excellent way to extend the opportunity to vote to citizens who are disabled or work all day. Yes on 6.

In the last week, The Crimson has endorsed incumbent Governor Michael Dukakis, Saundra K. Graham for state representative, a no vote on Question 1, a no on Question 3, a yes on Question 4 and a yes on Question 5.

Whatever you do, go to the polls and vote!