Dean Epps Appointed to State Ethics Commission

By Benjamin Waldman

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III this week was sworn in as the newest member of the Massachusetts State Ethics Committee, the five member body charged with over seeing state conflict of interest laws.

With the dean's wife, Valerie, and sons Josiah and Caleb, looking on, Gov. Michael S. Dukakis swore Epps in at a private ceremony at the State House.

"It is the kind of service one always hopes to provide," Epps said. "It will allow me to contribute to the state and society which gives so much to us." The body is charged with making sure that public officials do not violate conflict of interest laws for personal gain.

In the past, Epps has scrutinized public officials as a member of the state Judicial Conduct Commission, which oversees the conduct of state judges. "I hope to draw on that experience," Epps said. He added that in his new post he hopes to boost public awareness of conflict of interest laws.

Dukakis nominated the dean for the unpaid five-year position last month.

Harvard Time Unaffected

Epps said he did not think the appointment would conflict with his responsibilities at Harvard. "I talked it over with President [Derek C.] Bok and Dean [of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences A. Michael] Spence before I acceptedit," Epps said. "They seemed to be happy aboutit."

Lee Regan, director of public education for theEthics Commission, said she was pleased with theEpps' selection. "The governor always makes goodappointments. We're very confident that ArchieEpps will do a great job," she said