Learning to Play With the Boys

By Michael J. Lartigue

Football is typically a game played by two teams of 11 men.

But the Cambridge and Latin High School JV team is not a typical team. And Fanshen Cox, the squad's third-string wide receiver, is not a typical player.

Cox wears the same gold and black uniform as the other players, and does the same workouts. Only one thing makes Cox special--she's a woman.

The Cambridge resident was a cheerleader last year and rooted for her brother Winston, a senior, who played wide receiver for the varsity.

But the skirt and pom poms never quite satisfied her, so she traded them in for spikes and pads. She now wears her brother's old number, 83.

"It looked like they were having more fun on the field than I was having on the sideline," Cox said.

Cox's football career began in a strange way. "During [last year's] games I would tell the coach to put me in as their secret weapon," Cox said. "He would tell me that they had the equipment ready."

The coach took her seriously and invited her to football camp.

"It ended up where I had to make the descion to attend football camp or not," Cox said. "No one belived that I would actually go. Most laughed, but I was determined to go."

When Cox arrived at training camp, none of the players wanted to tackle her. And when she finally was tackled, it was by accident.

Cox and her teammates were going through a running drill, when 190 lb. linebacker Gary Henry--unaware that Cox was next in line--unloaded a hard hit on her.

"I didn't want to hit her because she's a girl, but I didn't know she was next," Henry said. "I felt really bad. All of the players started laughing. But she got up and still wanted some more. I think she can handle it."

Cox will likely play on the varsity team next year. "I'm going to see how things are going before I make my decision," Cox said.

"We were skeptical at first, but she's made us believers," Kirkland resident and defensive coordinator Jeff Budoff '87 said. "She gives the team character and spirit."

Cox's goal is to make a touchdown in a varsity game. She has already scored a two-point conversion in a JV game against Quincy High School.

Many of Cox's female classmates didn't take her seriously at first. Now they do.

"Some girls have told me that they envy me and that what I'm doing is really good," Cox said. "Some freshmen girls told me that they are going to try out for the team next year."

Cox doesn't require any special padding for her chest--although they are partially covered by her shoulder pads.

Cox is going to try out for the tennis team inthe spring term. The women's team.

Her other interest is acting. Cox has performedin school plays since her freshman year, but someperformances conflict with football season. Butthe choice between acting and football is an easyone for Cox.

"My only point is to play football," Cox said."I'm out there for the same reason that the guy'sare--for the love of football.