Local Gelateria Closes

By Jonathan S. Leff

The Gelateria Giuseppe, one of the many ice cream stores in the Square, closed last week and will be replaced by a new sweets store next month.

Famous for its Italian "gelato," the store closed last Wednesday and moved opening a cafe on Newbury St., said former employee Juyoung Shin '88.

The vacancy at 85 Mt. Auburn will be filled by a store similar to Gelateria Giuseppe, Scoops to Nuts, said Lois Barnett, co-owner of the new shop.

The new store, which will open on December 6, will also be owned by Joe Dietrich, the owner of Giuseppe and feature the same Italian ice cream, Barnett said. However, gelato will "become a minor part of the business," Barnett said.

The shop will stock around "450 bins of nuts, candies, and jelly beans, all of which you scoop yourself," Barnett said. Also, she said, gifts and other novelty items will be available.

"The Gelateria Giuseppe wasn't frequented as much by Harvard undergraduates," said Jordana B. Friedman '87 of Eliot House, who worked at the ice cream parlor last year. "It was kind of an older clientele than some of the other ice cream places in the square."