Icewomen Tear Down Terriers, 9-0; Joslin Scores Four Goals for Crimson

By Jennifer M. Frey

With only a little over four minutes gone in the first period at Bright arena last night, Harvard freshman Char Joslin skated around three Boston University defenders for her first unassisted goal of the game.

One hour and eight goals later, the scoreboard read 9-0 and the Harvard women's hockey team had recorded its 10th consecutive victory over the B.U. Terriers.

What happened in between was amazing.

It would be an understatement to say that the Crimson dominated the action on the ice. The puck crossed the center line into B.U. scoring territory less than 10 times in the entire first period.

Perhaps the most telling statistic is the total number of Terrier shots-on-goal: one.

Throughout the entire first period, Crimson netminder Jennifer White rested in the goalie box as B.U. failed to take a single shot. Freshman Suzy Carter, who replaced White after the first period, saw almost as little action. Halfway through the second stanza, the Terriers' fired their lone shot--and Carter had little trouble deflecting it.

On the flip side, the Crimson gave B.U. goalie Maria Dunn quite a workout, pummeling the injured senior with difficult shots. Despite giving up nine goals, Dunn played excellent defense and came up with 67 saves for the night.

"I've got to give Maria Dunn a lot of credit," Harvard Coach John Dooley said. "She played an amazing game despite being injured before she was even out on the ice."

"Their goalie was amazing," Joslin said. "She was probably the best I have ever played against."

Joslin, who scored her fourth goal of the season against Boston College earlier in the week, doubled her season scoring total with an impressive four-goal performance against the Terriers.

And three of those scores were unassisted.

"She [Joslin] is something else," Dooley said. "She has an unbelievable sense of the game, great anticipation, and a very highly developed skill level. She will be one of the finest athletes to ever hit this campus."

Also a varsity field hockey player, Joslin's skill on the ice was evident with her strong passing and exceptional defense The Dedham, Mass., native now leads the team with eight goals on the season, followed by junior Co-Captain Julie Sasner, who upped her total to six with a first-period score assisted by Karen Carney.

Lisi Balliere, Julie Trotman, Catherine Wolfram and Pam DiRubio each contributed a goal to round out the Crimson scoring.

The large margin of victory afforded Dooley the opportunity to use all of his players and work on the team's passing skills and positional play. "Our passing against Yale was terrible," Joslin said. "In this game we really sped up and passed well. Hopefully it'll mean good things for the Yale game."

Harvard (now 3-1) opens its Ivy League schedule against the Bulldogs in New Haven Saturday afternoon. The Crimson doesn't return to Bright Center until its matchup with Dartmouth January 6.