Trinity No Match for Racquetmen; Crimson Sweeps to Opening Day Win

By Michael J. Lartigue jr.

The Harvard men's squash team won yesterday.

A Surprise?

Not really.

Was it close?

Not really.

The racquetmen extended their winning streak to an incredible 48th consecutive games, extending over four-and-a-half-seasons.

It's almost starting to become monotonous.

The Harvard men's squash team opened its 1986 season with a convincing 10-0 shellacking of Trinity yesterday at Hemenway Gymnasium in front of 50 spectators.

Rusty Ball, Harvard's number two, whalloped Chris Smith in three straight sets, setting the tone for numerous shut-outs by the over-powering racquetmen.

"It was a strong performance for us, and we look forward to a great season," Harvard assistant Coach Peter Dinneen said.

Freshman John Bernheimer, the only Yardling competing for Harvard, demolished Trinity's Eric Scheyeur in three straight sets.

In the most exciting match of the day, Co-Captain Joe Dowling scored a thrilling five-set victory over Marc Lewis. Dowling jumped out a two-set advantage, but Lewis fought back to tie Dowling at 2-2. But Dowling fought back and bombed Lewis, 15-6, in the deciding set, giving the Crimson a 6-0 lead at the time.

"Everybody played pretty well," Harvard Co-Captain Kevin Jernigan said. "It was hard to keep our composure going up 2-0 in every match, and it's kind of a let down. I'm pleased with the way we responded today."

Doug Lifford, Harvard's number six, dominated Trinity's Jim Tomlinson, winning 15-3, 15-7, 15-10 to earn the Crimson's second sweep of the day.

Running Away

With the exception of Dowling and Jack Calbourne (who triumphed, 3-1), the rest of the racquetmen blanked their opponents, 3-0.

Number one Darius Pandole whipped Trinity's Bruce Hauptfuhrer, 15-11, 15-5, 15-5, while William Iselin--playing at number three--destroyed Bobby Hopkins in straight sets, 15-4, 15-10, 15-7. Iselin's victory closed out the sweep for the racquetwomen.

The racuetmen will try to extend their winning streak to 49 when they travel down Mass. Ave. to face MIT next Tuesday.