Winter of Discontent at the Big Green

November 15, 1985: The Dartmouth Committee for Divestment (DCD) constructs two shanties in the center of the Dartmouth Green, protesting the college's investments in companies that do business in South Africa. By the end of the month the DCD builds four structures.

November 17: Dean Edward Shanahan orders the protesters to remove the shanties immediately.

November 29: Head Football Coach Joe Yukica is fired by the college with one year left on his contract.

January 9, 1986: Twenty-nine activists stage a 234-minute sit-in in Dartmouth President David McLaughlin's office, calling for the college to divest.

January 13: Yukica wins an out-of-court settlement to regain his coaching post.

January 17: The Dartmouth Committee to Beautify the Green Before Winter Carnival (DCBGBWC) is formed.

January 21: At 2:45 a.m., 12 members of the DCBGBWC attempt to knock down the shanties. Police arrive five minutes later, preventing major damage.

The Dartmouth prints an editorial calling for the removal of the shanties.

In the afternoon, over 200 students rally on the Green in protest of the shanty vandalism.

January 22: More than 200 students occupy the Dartmouth administration building in protest of the shanty vandalism. The Dartmouth calls for the expulsion of the perpetrators.

Twelve members of the DCBGBWC are charged by the college for "violating the College conduct regulations." The Dartmouth Review, for whom nine of the accused are writers, later calls those charges "lies."

January 24: Classes are cancelled. Two days of college-wide forums are held to increase awareness of intolerance on campus.

January 27: A report denouncing McLaughlin is endorsed by the faculty. Several members attempt, but fail, to push through a vote of no-confidence.

February 4: A disciplinary meeting of the Dartmouth Committee on Standards (COS) meets for 11 hours without reaching a verdict on the shanty vandals.

February 7: The Dartmouth Winter Carnival begins.

February 11: Eighteen demonstrators are arrested while protesting the removal of a shanty from the Green. The DCD had moved the other three shanties in response to an ultimatum from the college administration.

All twelve members of the DCBGBWC are suspended by the college.