Science Center May Get Program Similar to IOP's

College Files Proposal for AT&T Grant

By Shari Rudavsky

The College yesterday set in motion a plan to bring a speakers forum, like the Kennedy School of Government's Institute of Politics, to the Science Center.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III yesterday mailed a proposal to the AT&T Foundation asking for $30,000 over two years to establish the program. The program would include:

. a research fund that could support thesis-related research;

. a fellows program that would sponsor lectures from scientists and non-scientists and resident visiting scholars;

. a series of study groups to "enhance the awareness of science and technology in frontier areas; and

. a student activities fund to support publications and other projects.

"I'm trying to see how I can enrich undergraduate life," Epps said. "I've always hoped extracurricular life will complement curricular life."

"It struck me there ought to be more discussion [at the College] about science and technology. We have a wonderful facility," Epps said.

Epps said the AT&T proposal would give the program "a sufficient start" and that after the program proved itself, more companies would contribute to the program.

The College began seeking a corporation to fund the project more than a year ago, Epps said. A Harvard graduate now employed at the AT&T Foundation approached Epps and said his company would be interested in having some connection with Harvard, Epps said.

Epps said he thought the Institute of Politics "was a wonderful model that could be applied to other places," adding that the College is thinking of developing similar programs in other areas. He said, "There are about 30 centers, museums, and institutions on the campus, and I can see programs with students in all of these."