Sexism

From our Readers

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Jeff Zucker's piece in defense of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue was a depressing statement of an all too common position on sexism in American society. Excusing SI because "they've just given us what we asked for" expressed a resignation that cannot remain unopposed. Those of us who care about equality cannot condone a mass media that perpetuates the attitudes of a sexist society.

I'm not trying to pick on SI. I'm fully aware that the magazine is neither the only nor the worst example of sexism in society. Swimsuits are fine if worn by both sexes. I'm not trying to pick on people who read SI. Everyone can read (or look at) whatever they so choose. I agree with Melissa Weissberg's belief that the entire debate says very little about the real issues involved ("Not Saying Much," Feb. 13). But the bottom line--that society discriminates against women culturally, socially, economically, and politically and that the media conditions people--is something that SI, the people who read it, as well as everyone who doesn't, should think about. Amy Perry '86