Crusader Football Coach Carter Dies

WEST BOYLSTON--Family, friends and fellow college coaches yesterday mourned the death of Holy Cross football coach Rick Carter, who was found dead of what officials say was a suicide hanging.

Worcester County District Attorney John J. Conte said that Carter, 42, died Sunday of strangulation about the neck with a belt and that the death was a suicide.

West Boylston Police Chief Robert Barton said in a prepared statement that Carter was found dead in his home at 8:14 a.m. by his son, Nick, a 21-year-old Holy Cross student.

Dr. James A. Gilbert, associate medical examiner, listed the cause of death as "ligature compression of the neck," which Conte said means strangulation.

"I am shocked by the news of coach Carter's sudden death," said the Rev. John Brooks, college president. "He was a highly skilled, knowledgeable and genuinely respected football coach throughout the country."

"I just cannot believe it," said Boston College head coach Jack Bicknell. "I'm just sitting here in a daze. I can't understand it. It's scary."

Holy Cross Athletic Director Ron Perry said he was also stunned by the news.

"He was a professional in every sense of the word," Perry said. "His wins and losses speak for themselves. I know I speak for so many people when I say he will be sorely missed."

Carter had a career coaching record of 137-58-7.

His players, who had expected to see him at a football banquet scheduled for Sunday night, were told of his death by assistant coach Mark Duffner at a 3 p.m. meeting.

"I was totally shocked," said Chris Eck, a senior defensive back. "This was really out of the blue. Not only was he a great coach, but personally, he was a nice man. A real winner."

Carter's relatives described him as a family man. Those who knew him well said he had been concerned about his mother's health but that his father's sudden death last August hit him hard.