Freshman Assaulted, Break-In Foiled

By James P. Gerace

A freshman received a concussion after he was assaulted by a group of five men outside Lamont Library last week, in one of several on-campus disturbances to which police have responded within the last 10 days.

Steve Y. Li '89 was leaving Lamont at roughly 10 p.m. January 29, when the men started running at him, he said. "Then one guy hit me and knocked me down," Li said, adding that he then hit his head on the pavement and lost consciousness.

Witnesses said the aggressors then fled toward Widener Library, according to the Harvard Police report on the incident.

Li was rushed by ambulance to Cambridge Community Hospital, where he was treated for a concussion. He was transferred to Stillman Infirmary and returned to his dorms this week.

Li said he did not know any of his attackers. "I don't know why they ran into me," he said. "I think they were drunk."

Li said that the man who hit him was tall and wore a leather jacket and maroon pants. He did not get a close look at the others because "before I knew what was happening, I was unconscious."

Police have no suspects in the case.

Later that evening, shortly before midnight, Harvard Police responded to a report of breaking and entering at Emerson Hall.

The officers interrupted Thomas F. Coady, 47, a South Boston resident, in the process of breaking into the locked building. Coady was apprehended and charged with breaking and entering and trespassing on private property. He was later transferred to the Cambridge Police for booking.

Mather Incident

Last Friday, a guard reported finding two young males wandering outside Mather House. Suspecting that they were looking for a way to break in, the guard asked them to leave. When the youths refused, he contacted the Harvard Police.

The police later released the youths to their parents' custody.

Other crimes in the police blotter:

.A wallet was stolen at Au Bon Pain at 3 p.m. Sunday. The estimated value of the loss is $60.

.A graduate student reported the theft of a portable electric typewriter, a calculator, a class ring and a thesis paper from the Cronkhite Graduate Center in Radcliffe Yard last week. The police have no suspects.

.Police are still looking into the theft of a black tuxedo and green tie from the Soldiers Field Park apartments' laundry room. There are no suspects.