Sports Wrap

The Harvard men's hockey team will play Bowling Green in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament, it was announced yesterday.

The Crimson--the number-two seed in the East--will host the Falcons Friday and Saturday nights at Bright Center.

The other first-round match-ups are as follows:

.number four East St. Lawrence (24-9) at number one West North Dakota (36-8).

.number three East Maine (24-14-2) at number two West Michigan State (30-9-2).

.number four West Minnesota (32-12-1) at number one East Boston College (29-7). Water Polo

The Harvard women's water polo team came back from a four-goal deficit to tie MIT, 10-10, last night at Blodgett Pool.

The Engineers came out like a buzz-saw: they scored the game's first four goals.

Harvard (now 1-0-1 overall) battled back, scoring a pair of goals 23 seconds apart in the first period, and then three consecutive goals in the closing minutes of the second period to close within 6-5.

In the second half, both teams exhibited a better defensive style. Harvard stole the ball often and forced MIT into three 35-second shot clock violations. But the Crimson was beginning to take poor shots. "We weren't communicating," said Co-Captain Leslie Barbi.

Faced with an 8-6 deficit at the beginning of the fourth period, Harvard began to open up its offense. Tara Gustilo scored an important goal for the Crimson early in the fourth period, but the Engineers retalliated with four minutes left in the game. Thirty seconds later Harvard scored again, and then again when Kelly Withy pumped in her third goal of the game with 2:23 to go.

Fifty-nine seconds later, a struggle for the ball took place between Withy and the MIT goalie. The referee ruled that the MIT player took the ball completely under the water and subsequently awarded Withy a penalty shot. She converted it for a 10-9 lead.

But MIT made the last comeback. After a final rush down the pool, the visitors scored with 21 ticks left on the clock to forge the tie. Volleyball

The Harvard men's volleyball squad fell to MIT in a five-game match last night at Malkin Athletic Center, 15-12, 17-15, 11-15, 3-15, and 15-11.

The loss dropped the Crimson's record in the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (EIVA) to 2-4 on the season (4-7 overall). The Engineers raised their EIVA mark to 6-0.

MIT posted a 14-6 lead in the opener, but the Crimson rallied for six consecutive points before the visitors tallied the final point.

The Engineers were credited with four aces in the game, but only because Harvard's players--anticipating long serves--intentionally let them drop.

Behind Co-Captain Adam Keller's strong serving, as well as two good plays by Scott Neilson, the Crimson raced to a 6-0 advantage in the second game--only to see the Engineers rally to take a commanding 13-7 lead.

Exceptional

But the Crimson retaliated.

An ace by Keller and a good serve by Ian Dyer closed the gap, and Chris Culbertson's block into the corner eventually tied the game at 14-14.

Keller's slam, which wasn't returned by the visitors, brought the Crimson within a point of winning the game, but an illegal hit and two poor Crimson returns gave the Engineers a 17-15 win.

MIT's 2-0 lead in games silenced the crowd of 40 spectators for the first several points of the third game, but Harvard avoided a straight-sets sweep.