Glueck to Fordham

Larry Glueck, a former assistant coach at Harvard, was named head football coach at Fordham University and signed to a three-year contract, Athletic Director Frank McLaughlin announced yesterday.

Glueck, a 1962 graduate of Villanova and a former defensive back with the Chicago Bears of the NFL, succeeds O'Neal Tutein, who resigned December 11 after five seasons at Fordham. Tutein compiled a 20-32 record including a 6-5 mark last year.

"The thing I like most about Larry Glueck is that he's a winner and he's been part of winning programs throughout his career," said McLaughlin, who came to Fordham this year after serving as head basketball coach at Harvard.

The 44-year-old Glueck; who played for the Bears in their 1963 NFL championship over the New York Giants, was the offensive backfield coach at Harvard and was responsible for recruiting in the New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania and Texas areas.

"Fordham has a long and successful tradition and academics are stressed here as well as athletics and that is the situation I'm used to coming from an Ivy League program," Glueck said.