Skinner Says Neurology Key to Future Research

Future research into the causes of human emotions lies in the field of neurology and not psychology, Harvard emeritus professor B.F. Skinner told a packed audience at William James Hall last night.

Before a crowd of 100 at a sophomore colloquium, Skinner, Pierce Professor of Psychology emeritus, responded to critics of behaviorism who feel that its theories minimize the importance of internal emotional states.

"The whole attempt to find internal explanations must wait until there is a science that tells what goes on inside," said Skinner, adding that the science of neurology may eventually develop instruments to measure internal states.

Widely-acclaimed as the father of modern behaviorism, Skinner pioneered research in the 1950s, arguing that human behavior could be understood as a series of reactions to external stimuli, rather than by internal emotional states.

"Stimulus and response will eventually be connected by neurology. Psychology can give only a clear explanation of what we can see and measure," said Skinner, referring to behaviorist theories that explain behavior in terms of a given response from a given stimulus.

Skinner said that internal states can be traced back to observable physical states, using the etymology of words as proof.

"Colors originally referred to things--red to blood, violet to the flower, black to ink," said Skinner, adding that original references to objects were based first on color and then on a noticed internal sensation.

The emeritus professor also said the etymological definition of anger is vexation, an external event. According to behaviorist theory, this event causes a certain response, including a physical reaction. Interpretation of this reaction leads to what humans call emotions.

Skinner said that this internal sensation can be viewed as a result of experience, repeating that there is not yet a way to scientifically measure internal states.