Double Features Return for Movie Buffs

Janus Cinema New Home for 10-Year Tradition

By Elsa C. Arnett

"A Clockwork Orange" and "1984" have returned to the Square, along with countless other classic and cult flicks which were squeezed from their regular home at the Harvard Square Theatre this fall.

The daily double, long a favorite of area students, took an enforced vacation starting in September because of the even stronger demand for first-run films, one of the theater's owners said yesterday.

But since the day before Spring Break (when "The Big Chill" and "St. Elmo's Fire" were screened), the 10-year old duos are back--only now they're at the one-screen Janus Cinema on nearby JFK Street.

"We always wanted to keep it going," said Harvard Square Theatre manager Charles Smith, "and after this schedule ends in mid-May, we intend to offer another one."

The double feature was reinstated after the Harvard Square Theatre owners bought the Galeria Mall's Janus for the purpose last month.

"We've decided to bring them back because first-run films have such a short lifespan, and people who want to see a movie often don't get the opportunity to for many reasons," said the owner, who refused to be identified.

"Some repertory houses have been affected by VCR's," said the owner, "so it is hard to tell how successful this will be. We do hope to acheive full market penetration."

"Double features also have greater value, and offer more incentive to the moviegoer," he added.

"Double features are double fun, said Donald N. Fawcett '89, who is interested in seeing Breaker Morant and The Tin Drum.

Robert O. Bork '89 agreed, and said that the movies offered tend to be classics of his type such as "Mad Max" and the "Road Warrior."

"On the other hand," said Bork, "it's sometimes hard to get a block of time for two movies, one after the other, so the availability of double features doesn't necessarily mean that I'll see more movies overall."

Manager of the Janus Cinema, Peter Johnston, said that ticket sales are picking up, and he thinks the double feature offer is helping the theater.