No Relief in Sight for Red Sox

DETROIT--Dave Bergman's pinch-hit single with bases loaded in the 10th inning drove in the winning run as the Detroit Tigers beat the Boston Red Sox yesterday, 6-5.

Boston had taken a 5-4 lead in the top of the 10th. With two outs, Detroit reliever Willie Hernandez (now 1-0) walked Glenn Hoffman. Pinch runner Ed Romero went to second on a single by Dwight Evans and scored on a single by Wade Boggs to snap the 4-4 tie.

Kirk Gibson started the two run Tiger 10th with a single and went to second when Bob Stanley (now 0-1) walked Lance Parrish. Steve Crawford took over for Boston and was greeted by Darrell Evans single that scored Gibson to tie it 5-5. Alan Trammell sacrificed the runners up a base each and Mike Laga was given an intentional walk to fill the bases.

Chet Lemon hit a grounder that forced Parrish, but Bergman lined the next pitch into right, scoring Evans with the winning run.

Boggs, who went hitless in five at-bats in the opener Monday, had four hits in six at-bats, including a two-run home run the third inning.

Darrell Evans, who won the American League home run title last year with 40, hit two solo homers for Detroit.

In the Boston fourth, Tony Armas doubled, Rich Gedman singled and Frank Tanana walked Marty Barrett to load the bases with nobody out. Hoffman's sacrifice fly drove in Armas.

In the seventh, Boggs reached on an error by Detroit third baseman Darnell Coles and scored on Bill Buckner's double to put the Red Sox ahead, 4-2.