Netwomen Come Home, End 1-5 West Coast Skid

By Barbara VAN Gorder

Sun and heat.

The perfect Spring Break ingredients--unless you are a member of the Harvard women's tennis team and haven't played or practiced outside since early November.

The netwomen recently completed the most challenging stretch of its tennis season, posting a 1-5 record in competition which took them to California and Arizona.

"We played outside, and the sun, heat and wind really bothered some people," Harvard netwoman Martha Berkman said about the team's performance on the West Coast.

The squad initiated its 1985-'86 spring campaign against the University of the Pacific on March 22. An easy, warm-up victory for Harvard in each of the past three years, the University of the Pacific's 5-4 victory was somewhat of an upset.

"It was really disappointing," Berkman said. "We should have beaten them."

The University of California at Berkeley, ranked sixth in the nation, hosted the Crimson two days later. Berkeley notched an 8-1 victory, but the netwomen played better than the score indicates, as most of the matches were close.

Number one-ranked Stanford then blanked the Crimson, 9-0. Traditionally a tough team, the Cardinal stymied the Crimson last year, 7-2. Stanford has the tremendous advantage of playing nationally ranked teams from Berkeley, ArizonaState, and the University of Arizona on a regularbasis.

"It's tough being the best in the East and nothaving the same level of competition [as theWest]," Berkman said.

Harvard breezed to a 7-2 victory over theUniversity of California at Santa Barbara beforemoving on to Arizona.

Tenth-ranked and first-time opponent ArizonaState handed the netwomen a 6-3 defeat before theCrimson finished up its West Coast swing with aloss to fifteenth-ranked University of Arizona.

Although Harvard Coach Don Usher felt his squad"didn't do as well as we were capable of," severalplayers shined.

Robin Boss grabbed victories in each of herlast three matches while Cyndi Austrian andBerkman who also put in excellent performances.

"They kept us in the matches against Pacific,Arizona State, and the University of Arizona,"Usher said.

According to Berkman, the Spring Break tennisspree also has brought the team closer together.

"We all want to go to the NCAA's and everyoneknows we have the potential," she said. "Now weknow that we have to play well just to have thehonor of attending."

The netwomen play at Boston College on Saturdayafternoon and open their Ivy Season April 11 byhosting Penn