E4D Challenges Class Gift to Debate

Rivals for Senior Dollars Enter Last Push

By Julian C. Baker

As solicitations for senior dollars wind down to the final weeks, members of the Endowment for Divestiture yesterday challenged the Senior Class Gift Committee to a debate on the relative merits of each organization.

The Senior Class Gift Committee traditionally solicits funds from graduating seniors to offset the burden of future financial aid programs and other College costs.

The Endowment for Divestiture (E4D), established three years ago by divestment activists as an alternative gift fund, will hold its solicitations in escrow until the Harvard Corporation divests of stock in companies which do business in South Africa. If the University has not divested by 2003, the accumulated funds will be given to charity.

Group members said the two groups have differences in their perceptions of their relationships to the University and to each other, but they have not yet openly discussed their points of contention.

"It would be cowardly of [the Class Gift Committee] not to debate," said Kamala S. Lakhdhir '86, co-president of the E4D undergraduate board. "They would be taking the easy way out if they are not able and willing to defend their views in public," she added.

Although E4D has set a "high noon," Wednesday deadline for response, the Gift Committee did not get word of the challenge until yesterday afternoon, said Gift Co-Chairman Charles S. Rudnick '86.

"I would be happy to have public discussion of the issues, though I fear that E4D is trying to make a bigger conflict than really exists between the two groups," Rudnick said.

Giving to the Class Gift involves a "certain degree of implicit consent with the University's South African investment policies," said Jon E. Klaaren '86, co-president of E4D.

"E4D is a way of saying, `wait a minute, we want a say in the way Harvard uses its money,' and E4D says it in the language of Harvard--which is financial contribution," said Michael W. Hirschorn '86, the organization's publicist.

Rudnick disagreed with E4D's description of the differences in the groups.

"It is clear to me that these people do not understand what is going on," Rudnick said after reading the challenge letter last night.

In response to the letter, Rudnick said that he would like to see members of both organizations sit down together and come to an understanding about the purpose of the different funds, "and then see if there is anything left to debate."

"E4D wants to have a debate on the merits of the University's investment in South Africa, which I think is definitely a worthy topic for debate. But it has absolutely nothing to do with the senior gift," Rudnick said, stressing that since none of the Class Gift contribution goes towards Harvard's endowment, none of it is even indirectly invested in South Africa.

Said Rudnick: "I tell my friends to go ahead and give to E4D, if that is the political statement they want to make. But that is no reason not to show our appreciation to Harvard for the great experiences we have had."