Gorbachev Calls for Alliances to Disband

Soviet Leader Wants End to NATO, Warsaw Pact

BERLIN--Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev stepped up his courtship of Western Europe yesterday saying he would support disbanding the Warsaw Pact and NATO alliances.

At the same time, Gorbachev voiced readiness to meet again with President Reagan if "the appropriate international atmosphere is created."

The Soviet leader, on a visit to East Germany, also charged that the United States had ignored the opinion of its West European allies by sending warplanes to bomb Libya last week.

In a speech to workers in East Berlin, the Soviet Communist Party general secretary said Moscow was ready for "a simultaneous disbanding of the Warsaw Pact and NATO, or, for a start, their military organizations."

The Soviets have previously said they were prepared to scrap the Warsaw Pact if the West dissolved the NATO military alliance. The offers have been viewed with skepticism in the West.

On the possibility of a superpower summit this year, Gorbachev said, "We are ready for a Soviet-American meeting so long as the appropriate international atmosphere is created, and real disarmament steps are possible."

His remarks were reported by East German television. The state-run network filmed Gorbachev's speech in a machine tool factory in a suburb of East Berlin and translated his Russian words into German.

Western diplomatic sources said Gorbachev's repetition of the proposal dovetailed with appeals he has made to Western Europe from East Berlin in the past few days.

"It looks like this, too, is aimed across the [Berlin] Wall at the West Europeans," said one Western diplomat, who spoke on the condition that he not be identified.

Yesterday, in his speech to the workers, he repeated the proposal on conventional arms and said he also favored "all-European cooperation on economic, ecological and other issues."

"It is finally time to grasp the simple thought that the barriers can be removed," he said. Gorbachev then expressed readiness to meet with Reagan.

Gorbachev kept up his criticism of Reagan yesterday, charging that the United States' "piratical action [against Libya had] not only failed to take notice of world public opinion, but of the majority of its NATO allies too."

Gorbachev has used his public appearances to issue several statements and proposals on disarmament and East-West relations.

Gorbachev's suggestions that troop levels and conventional weapons be reduced have already met with a positive response in West Germany, where Chancellor Helmut Kohl yesterday described the proposals as a "step forward."

After his speech, Gorbachev attended the closing session of the East German party congress where President Erich Honecker was unanimously reelected Communist Party chief.

Gorbachev was scheduled to return to Moscow today.