class cuts

DARTMOUTH

Where Men Are Men, Sheep Are Nervous, And Lamms Are Professors

Colorado Gov. Richard Lamm will teach at Dartmouth College for six months after he leaves office next year, his office announced this week.

The Associated Press reported that the governor announced he has accepted Dartmouth College's Montgomery Fellowship, a privately-endowed post in which he will teach and be available to students.

He will hold the fellowship in residence at the Hanover, N.H. school from January through June of 1987.

"I'm genuinely pleased and honored to accept the Montgomery Fellowship," Lamm said.

"I have learned to love teaching through my University of Colorado class at the Graduate School of Public Affairs. It's imperative the issues I consider vital be shared with our next generation of leaders. Dartmouth is a fine place to find such students."

The fellowships were started in 1978 and endowed by Kenneth Montgomery, a 1925 graduate of the Ivy League school, and his wife, Harl.

Lamm will teach a course in Dartmouth's Policy Studies program.

Previous holders of the fellowship include former President Gerald Ford, former Secetary of State Dean Rusk, former British Prime Minister Edward Heath, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun, and authors John Cheever, Bernard Malamud, William Styron, John Updike '54, Kurt Vonnegut and Robert Penn Warren.

Lamm said he will return to Colorado after completing the fellowship. PRINCETON

Clapper Nappers

Two Princeton freshmen recently rescued tradition when they dodged a clanging bell to steal the clapper from the Nassau Hall bell tower. The crazy college hijinks are an annual rite of passage for Tiger frosh.

"Tradition was saved," said Ed, who perpetrated the theft with his accomplice, Jedd. The two daring freshmen refused to divulge their identities, according to The Daily Princetonian.

The clapper-nappers, who disguised themselves as construction workers, convinced a Nassau Hall security officer to give them keys to the bell tower. "They looked like construction workers," the security officer told the Princetonian. "They were scruffy and, oh, gee, I don't believe this."

The one moment of anxiety for the bandits occurred when, while still unscrewing a bolt, one of them realized that the bell was scheduled to ring in just 30 seconds. The two scampered partway down the tower's ladder, waited for the bell to stop ringing, and finished the job.

They will "absolutely not" return the clapper to its rightful owners, Jedd told the Princetonian. UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS

Protesters Egg Homophobe

Students at the University of Massachusetts last week reacted angrily to an anti-gay activist who denounced homosexual rights during Lesbian and Gay Awareness Week.

"Homosexual activity is a blight on society," psychologist Paul Cameron told a largely hostile crowd of 300, according to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian.

Protesters jeered and threw eggs at Cameron, while campus police and members of the UMass Gay and Lesbian Association advocating non-violence asked the crowd to remain peaceful.

"Homosexuality is worse than murder," Cameron said. He maintained that it is a mistake to allow homosexuals the same rights as heterosexuals.

"They will bring plague after plague to our land," he said.

Organizers said they were unaware that Cameron's speech coincided with Lesbian and Gay Awareness Week at the Amherst campus.

Cameron, who gave a similar speech at Harvard in the fall, told an Emerson Hall crowd, "I'm talking about quarantining a half million, a million, even a million and a half people."

The audience of 30 at the Harvard speech did not protest.

Cameron is chairman of the Nebraska-based Institute for the Scientific Investigation of Sexuality, a non-profit organization which lobbies against gay rights. He was expelled from the American Psychological Association in 1984, and has been censured by the Nebraska Psychological Association for "violating ethics codes and misrepresenting research," according to the Collegian. UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

Computer Matchmaking

What do you do when your social life is in a rut? Creative students at the University of Michigan run to their computer terminals.

A new computer privilege has allowed students to set up a telecommunications conference. "Confer-ing" enables students to discuss, via computer, different topics or "items" with others in the conference.

"We have an item called the `flirt,'" said Susie Jun, a sophomore "confer."

"You basically flirt with people you've never seen [by] sending out leading messages," said Jun. Once a month or so, "a `face-to-face' [meeting] lets `confers' meet the person on the other side of the terminal," said Jun.

"The ratio of guys to girls [in the `confer'] is 8:1," said Jun. "So whenever a girl gets on, she gets a lot of mail."

"Confer-ing" is not just for computer science jocks. Less than 60 percent of confers are computer science or engineering majors. "Teleconferencing and electronic mail are the only things you can do on computers without knowing anything about them," Jun explained.

One question is especially popular now: "When you're `confer-ing,' do you prefer the act or do you prefer cuddling?"

"I think they prefer cuddling," said Jun. "Doing the act requires too much concentration."

The Ann Arbor school instituted this program, which "confers" see as "the wave of the future," in the fall to become the only public university to allow students access to the school's mainframe computer.