Harvard Backs Down; Prevents Club Pickets

By Mark M. Colodny

Faculty Club employees said yesterday that they have cancelled a picket scheduled for today because Harvard this week backed down from a plan to replace union employees with non-union members during weekend functions.

Two weeks ago workers threatened to demonstrate outside the club after negotiations with the University about hiring broke down. At that time, the University threatened not to hire any union members during the weekend.

Both sides said yesterday that the contract negotiations scheduled to resume in early May will address the issue.

An impasse arose earlier this year after club management replaced union employees with non-union workers for high-pay weekend functions. Non-Harvard workers, who are paid only one-fourth of what regular workers receive, were brought in to reduce labor costs at the deficit-ridden club, administrators said.

University officials said yesterday that they will reintroduce the issue when they negotiate the union's contract. "We're going to deal with [the disputed wage] practices in the negotiations," said Edward W. Powers, associate general counsel for employee relations.

Fear of a worker demonstration was not a major factor in the refusal to hire non-union workers on the weekends, Powers said. "If there had been a picket line, I don't think it would have embarrassed anyone."

In a reversal of the University's threat not to hire union members on the weekend, Powers said that Harvard will hire union workers for weekend functions because students are not available.

Harvard students, who frequently work as weekend bartenders, have done union jobs in the past, receiving non-unions wages.

Union members say they do not resent students working at the club on weekends because students lack the skills necessary to fill many union jobs.

Union officials hailed the University's decision as a major concession. "Now [Powers] has reaffirmed the fact that these people have a right to be put to work. He made the right decision," said Dominic M. Bozzotto, president of the Food Service Workers Union, Local 26.

But Bozzotto said he feared that the current union gains would be lost. "[Powers] will come to the negotiating table with some scheme to water that down."

Twelve union workers will be hired this weekend in addition to the students who usually bartend at the club, managers said.

Troubled Club

The controversy over wages comes less than a week after the University announced that Creative Gourmet, the Allston catering firm that manages the Faculty Club, is leaving on May 1. Harvard Dining Services will assume control of the club after that date.

Despite wide-ranging labor problems, including a variety of hiring and firing problems, Creative Gourmet's departure was not related to labor difficulties, according to administrators.

The University's contract with its dining hall workers, which covers those employed at the Faculty Club, expires on June 19.

Both sides said they hoped to settle their differences at the bargaining table. "The issues still have to be dealt with," said Powers.