Major League Wrap

Orioles-Indians

Mel Hall, inserted into the Cleveland lineup after Carmen Castillo pulled a leg muscle during pre-game warmups, drove in two runs yesterday as the Indians defeated the Baltimore Orioles 6-4 in their American League opener.

With President Reagan watching from the Baltimore dugout, Baseball Commissioner Peter Ueberroth on hand and an Orioles regular-season record crowd of 52,292 in Memorial Stadium, Hall doubled home a run in the second inning.

He hit a sacrifice fly in the third, after Baltimore starter Mike Flanagan had been driven from the mound and about the time Reagan was taking off from the parking lot in the presidential helicopter.

Winner Ken Schrom, acquired in a trade with Minnesota, was nicked for two unearned runs in a wild fifth inning.

Brewers-White Sox

Ernest Riles' two-run homer and a roof-top blast by Rob Deer powered the Milwaukee Brewers to a 5-3 victory Monday over Tom Seaver and the Chicago White Sox in their American League opener.

Seaver, extending his own major-league record with his 16th opening-day start, lasted 5 1-3 innings before the opening day crowd of 42,265. He was charged with seven hits and all five Milwaukee runs. He is 7-2 on opening day for his career, 1-1 with the White Sox.

Teddy Higuera, a 15-game winner last year as a rookie, allowed seven hits, walked four and fanned five in seven innings, with Mark Clear getting the save.

Reds-Phillies

Eric Davis and Dave Parker rocked Steve Carlton with home runs yesterday to catapult the Cincinnati Reds to a 7-4 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies in the National League's traditional season opener.

Davis' three-run homer in the second inning helped Mario Soto survive an erratic performance and earn his fourth consecutive opening day victory.

Carlton, a 41-year-old lefthander with 314 career wins, tied Tom Seaver's N.L. record with his 14th opening-day assignment. But he was coming off a 1-8 season last year and started this one no better, allowing nine hits and all seven Reds runs in four-plus innings. The loss dropped Carlton's opening-day record to 3-9.

Carlton's 14-20 lifetime mark against the Reds is his worst record against any team. Soto was relieved in the sixth by Ron Robinson, who worked out of a two-on, two-out threat and pitched 3 and one-third innings of one-hit ball to pick up the save.