Trivia Quiz Answers

1. (b) Wilbur Wood was born in Cambridge on October 22, 1941.

2. (e) Joe Niekro threw the last N.L. no-hitter on Sept. 26, 1983 against Montreal.

3. (c) Eight of each.

4. (a) Giants back-up Jeff Hofstedtler is the only one of the four not picked in the amateur baseball draft that year. Schroeder was picked on the first round, Marino on the fourth, and Elway in the 18th.

5. (c) Members of the all-Parts of the Body team include Roy Face, Barry Foote (we said minor spelling variations were allowed), Rollie Fingers, and former Pittsburgh pitcher Bill Hands.

6. (e)

7. (d)

8. (c) Only Kaat is older than Niekro, who turned 47 on April 1, 1986. Versalles (the 1964 A.L. MVP) was born on December 18, 1939; Tony C. on Janruary 7, 1945; Rose on Jan. 14, 1941; and Captain Carl on August 22, 1939. Kaat, who accumulated 283 career wins, was born on November 7, 1938.

9. (c) Tiger Lolich won games two, five, and seven. McLean was 1-2 with a 3.24 ERA in the Series, while Gibson was 2-1 with a 1.67 ERA.

10. (a) Stoddard in the 1979 World Series.

11. (a) Robinson "Hoover"

(b) Epstein "Superjew"

(c) Luzinski "Bull"

(d) Crawford "Wahoo"

(e) Milner "The Hammer"

12. (a) John Odom

(b) Brian Haas

(c) William Wilson

(d) Robert Moses Groove

(e) Leon Goslin

(f) Joe Medwick

(g) Albert Schoendienst

(h) Jim Grant

(i) Mordecai Brown

(j) Charles Day

13. (d)

14. (b)

15. (d) Kubek hit 57. Meanwhile, Gariagiola hit 42 dingers, Rizzuto 38, Montgomery 23, and Ucker banged out

14. "Must be in the front row!"

16. (a)

17. (d) Wahoo Sam had 312 three-baggers in his career.

18. (b) Medwick won in 1937 while playing for St. Louis.

19. (e) Henderson started the triple-killing with a line-drive to Kansas City's Frank White.

20. (f) There was some confusion on this question. We meant major league players with the same last name; obviously no one named Lisa Anderson has ever played professional baseball. Sorry about the confusion. Anyway, among the namesakes are Mike Anderson (Philadelphia outfielder in the early '70s), Cliff Brady (Boston second baseman in 1920), Alta Cohen (Giant infielder in the 1920s), Mel and Albert Hall, Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch, Rich Nye (Cub pitcher in the 1960s), Pat Putnam, Jim Price (Tiger catcher in the late '60s), and Earl Wilson. Glenn Hoffman spells his name with only one "n".