More Protest

From Our Readers

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I am writing this letter as an apology, in both senses of the word, because I am very upset about what happened tonight. I am taking the liberty as a member of the Committee on Central America (COCA) to defend the organization. To my understanding, the position of COCA as a group is one of non-intervention in Central America by the United States. COCA is not pro-Sandinista per se. The intention of COCA last Wednesday night was to hold a rally outside before the meeting and then to go inside and listen to the speakers. COCA's presence was not to be disruptive.

While I oppose the Contras, I believe in freedom of speech. I am terribly sorry about and ashamed of the hypocrisy of those who would oppose facism while imposing their own tyranny by refusing to let the speakers talk. I am also ashamed of the hypocrisy of those who act in violence to condemn another's violence.

Although COCA was not directly responsible for the disruption and violence, as an individual member I would like to apologize for whatever role our protest played in inciting such behavior. Elizabeth Pratt '86