Libya

From Our Readers

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The lead-in on page one of your Registration issue story on the increased enrollment in the Summer School this year was, I think, poorly titled. The title read: "Libya Crowds Summer Session." It is very likely the case, as is pointed out in the article, that the threat of terrorist actions against U.S. citizens has caused a number of people to cancel plans to travel abroad this summer and in turn contributed to the increase in Summer School enrollment. Your title, however, indicates that you have unconsciously (perhaps) accepted as fact the Reagan administration's claim that the terrorist actions are all (or mostly) the result of a plot emanating from Tripoli. Actually, despite the constant assertions that the evidence linking Qaddafi to the various incidents is "incontrovertible," we the people of this country have yet to be presented with the slightest shred of it.

In the case of the bombing of the disco in Berlin, the counter-evidence is particularly strong: e.g. the unlikelihood of Qaddafi ordering a terrorist act against a nightclub frequented by Muslims and black U.S. GIs, Libya's explicit denial of compliance in the action and condemnation of it, and the fact that a German neo-Nazi organization claimed responsibility shortly afterwards.

Palestinian and Arab terrorism far more likely results from the was directed by Israel and the United States against the Palestinian people for the past 35 years than from a Libyan plot. Not that Qaddafi is beyond terrorism. But if Libya is really responsible, why aren't we the people allowed to see the proof? Are we simply to take for fact the claims of a president who deliberately lied about U.S. medical students being endangered in Grenada two years ago? Lane Kenworthy   Summer School Proctor   Lionel A-11