Aquino to Visit Harvard Next Week

Will Meet With Scholars and Address Sanders Audience

By David M. Lazarus

The charismatic leader of the world's newest democracy will visit Harvard this coming weekend during her first official visit to the U.S. as president of the Philippines.

In a two-day whirlwind visit to Boston filled with official speeches and ceremonies, Philippines' President Corazon C. Aquino will meet with Harvard scholars and address a Sanders Theater audience on Saturday.

Responding to a personal invitation from President Derek C. Bok, Aquino will deliver the 1986-87 Jodidi Lecture of the Center for International Affairs (CFIA) at Sanders Theater on September 20, discussing "The Role of Nonviolent Action in National Security."

Benigno S. Aquino, the president's late husband and an opposition leader to Ferdinand Marcos, the deposed Philippines' president, served as a fellow at the CFIA before his assasination at the Manila International Airport in August 1983.

Corazon Aquino, who assumed her presidency in February, will be accompanied by the highest ranking ministers in the Filipino government on her visit the U.S. Her eight-day itinerary includes meetings with World Bank officials, addresses to both a Joint Session of Congress and the United Nations, as well as lunches with President Reagan, Secretary of State George P. Shultz and Congressional leaders.

Aquino will stress the idea of "trade more than aid" in U.S.-Philippine relations throughout her working visit, which includes stops in Washington, D.C., New York City, Boston and San Fransisco, embassy officials said.

But Aquino's visit to the U.S. comes at a time when the stability of her country has come under question. Despite an absence of any domestic difficulties during Aquino's recent tour of Indonesia, remarks made by Defense Minister Juan Ponce Enrile, a graduate of the Law School, have aroused controversy and speculation as to whether he plans to stage a coup d'etat during his bosses trip. Enrile enjoys strong support from the military and was one of the primary players in the ousting of Marcos.

A member of the Philippines' press secretariat said that an Enrile coup during Aquino's U.S. visit was unlikely.

"He will not dare. Aquino is idolized by the Filipino people," said administrative officer Nila S. Fish.

"Enrile is a sophisticated and knowledgeble man who has the military power to stage a coup at any time. But what then? He doesn't want to become another Marcos," said Mariano L. Ezpeleta '58, a founder and board member of the Benigno S. Aquino Foundation, a Boston based organization established to preserve the fallen opposition leader's name and create academic opportunities in Philippine studies.

Enrile will not be a member of Aquino's U.S. envoy due to what he said are conflicts with his wedding anniversary. He has denied any intentions to stage a coup during the president's trip.

Visit Newton Home

Aquino's visit to Boston will not be without a personal side. In addition to visiting her former home in Newton, now a memorial to her late husband, Aquino will receive an honorary degree from Boston University Law School as well as Boston College's highest honor, the St. Ignatius medal.

The widow in yellow will also attend a private reception given in her honor by Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54 at the John F. Kennedy Memorial Library and address the Boston Filipino community at an Aquino Foundation dinner Saturday evening. Boston Mayor Raymond L. Flynn will present her with a key to the city in a ceremony at Faneuil Hall Saturday afternoon.

"Everyone wants to give her something. I just hope they won't give her any shoes," said Fish.

Free tickets for Aquino's 2 p.m. speech at Sanders Theater will be available from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., September 15 and 17, in the lobby of Coolidge Hall to all people with Harvard ID's. Her address will be broadcast be closed circuit TV in Science Center lecture halls for viewing by members of the general public.