Accelerate That Particle

By David M. Lazarus

Although physicists have made great gains in understanding elementary particle physics over the past 50 years, research needs new facilities and new directions in theory to expand our knowledge, said a panel of three Harvard physicists yesterday.

"The main challenge is to find some crack in our present theories," said Professor of Physics Roy I. Schwitters at the symposium, "The Ultimate Physical Theories: Progress and Prospects." Schwitters will head the world's largest particle accelerator soon to open at the Fendi National Laboratories outside of Chicago.

Higgins Professor of Physics and Nobel Laureate Sheldon L. Glashow said that other factors also contribute to the present state of particle research.

"We are squeezed between three things--past success, religion and money," he said. Glashow discounted the "Superstring" theory which involves the combination of gravity and theory at small distances to explain the nature of matter.

But in the face of already answered questions in particle physics theories, researchers are turning to other fields like astrophysics and cosmology for new angles of research, said Physics Professor Howard M. Georgi III '68.

"The main reason particle physicists are so interested in cosmology is the Big Bang theory," he said, adding that the study of particles present at the formation of the universe could have some implications in particle physics research.

All the panelists were enthusiastic about the prospect of building a particle accelerator even larger than the Fendi lab's. The new accelerator would have a circumference of 50 miles and would cost several billion dollars.

"The U.S. Department of Energy and the President will decide this year whether building this $3 billion device is in our national interests," said Schwitters.