Impoverished Abundance

By Michael D. Nolan

Four University theologians yesterday discussed how Western theological traditions can serve the human race in an age when such threats as nuclear war and environmental decay fill many with despair.

The four spoke at a Divinity School symposium titled "Theology in a Nuclear Age."

Each drew on individual expertise to address a broad range of the contemporary problems of what Hollis Professor of Divinity Richard R. Niebuhr, a participant, called "an age of impoverished abundance."

While interviewed spectators said they enjoyed the talks, each called the symposium one of the most erudite of the last three days.

"Theology is an activity going far deeper than the intent of church doctrine. It involves the orientation of symbols and concepts with which we seek to guide and direct our lives," said Mallinckrodt Professor of Divinity Gordon D. Kaufman, who presided.

Professor of Historical Theology Margaret R. Miles addressed herself to what she called the need for Western man to develop greater respect for the material world and to move beyond the belief that communion with the divine comes through transcendence of the flesh.

"Theology no longer can identify and prescribe--if it ever could--perceptions from a God's eye view," she said.

Associate Professor of Theology Sharon R. Welch called for Americans of European heritage to look towards other cultural traditions for needed support.

"I find in my work with Afro-American women the resources that bring moral wisdom and strength that we all need," said Welch, who is noted for her study of Black American women.